Monday, February 15, 2010

"The Hole'

Since this is unashamedly a ‘mummy blog’ I’m going to share a funny little story from our weekend that still has me giggling. So, here goes........ If you’re anti mummy sharing please close your eyes and block your ears now :O)

In-between bouts of asking how long it is until school again the biggest pink has been sharing her excitement about going to visit 'The Hole’ with her class on Monday morning. I let it slide a few times without too much questioning. After all it’s a very environmentally active little school and they are digging a dam and creating wet lands (they have a special rare endemic frog living on the school grounds). I did manage to think maybe sneakers would be most appropriate if they’ll be traipsing around in dirt and mud. Granny visited, and she even told her all about it. Granny gave me a funny look but still I didn’t really press the issue. I have no problem with dirty shoes – not if it’s all for a good cause.

Anyway we’re off to school this morning (wearing her aforementioned sneaker with her school dress) and the topic comes up again. “Mummy we’re going to 'The Hole' this morning! Are you coming?” Oh I think, I didn’t realise we were invited, really haven’t dressed the little pinks appropriately for that type of thing. So, I ask. “Do you mean the dam they’re digging out in the wetlands area?”........”No mummy” she says, giving me one of those precious five year old looks that clearly says ‘silly mummy’. After some discussion about what people do at ‘The Hole’ it suddenly becomes clear she is referring to the school assembly which is held in a building called ‘The Hole’ (not in the dam). Now I’m thinking I’d better ask some of the other mummies and find out why they call it ‘The Hole’ – what a silly name (still they do call the shorts they wear under their dresses ‘boggers’!!).

As I’m having this thought she pipes up with “maybe I’m not saying it right mummy’. Ding the penny in the well worn mummy brain finally drops ....... it’s not ‘The Hole’ she’s talking about but ’The Hall’. I nearly had to pull the car over I was laughing so much. I can still see my little mental image of the entire 140 strong student population plus teachers and parents all standing in the dam for assembly. It easy to forget that everything she is facing right now is brand new. How confusing it must be to be so tiny and facing such big changes and such information overload. I must say that she’s coping extremely well and I’m very proud of her...............and thankful for the little giggles she gives me along the way!

12 comments:

  1. Love a good Mummy story, and that one is an utter pearler. (Reminds me to maybe blog one day about "Autie Nootie". Watch this space!)

    Your pinks sound deliciously funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh bless. I love those little mis-pronounced things that make children such a delight. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear that your bubba's enjoying the "big world" now.=)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's adorable! The hall will always be 'the hole' for me now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! What a wonderful story to be past down the generations :) Thanks for putting a smile on my face today xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah yes, der, HALL!! I had this situation when my twins where in preschool & a Kiwi born mummy taught them how to make lamingtons - or as they called them LEMINGTONS & i had no idea what they were talking about. They even described them as sponge cake wtih chocolate & coconut, nup, still didn't get what they were talking about. About a term later i bought from lamingtons from a cake stall at their sister's school & they said "yum, these are called lemingtons mum" & looked at me like i was so dumb. They actually give me great moron looks in the rear view mirror, those twins are now 8 & destined to put me in my place!! Just wait until they give you the hand signals for 'what ever'. Oh yes, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe so cute! The beauty of children, is always a funny surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's going to be a great one to re-tell when she's older! So cute! Thanks for sharing!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your lovely comments, nice to share the mummy moments!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my posts - they really are like sunshine on a cloudy day! If you're a new follower to The Truth About Mummy please leave me a link to your blog so I can follow you back. Thanks ..... Caz