Thursday, February 25, 2010

Just what's missing in my life?


I've decided that I've lived my life for too long now not knowing how to crochet a granny square.  Started working on a solution for this problem last night.  (I should have taken a photo of my first attempts before letting the little pinks make necklaces out of them - but maybe soon I'll be able to show you something grannish.) 

I love learning new stuff - but must admit it took about 100 views of the 'how to' videos to understand what a double crochet was!!  So far I can make the centre part only.

Do you make granny squares?  I'll accept any offered wisdom, links or general advice which might help rectify this terrible lack in my life!!

(This post reminds me of when the biggest pink was two and a half.  We were talking about her grandfather having a 'granny flat' out the back of our property.  She looked up with wide eyes and said - "No Mummy Granny is not flat!")

10 comments:

  1. I desperately want to learn how to crochet flowers as I saw this really cute rug I wanted to make.
    Not sure if you're already a follower but this lady may be able to offer you some wisdom.
    http://mycrochettherapy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks DofS - I'll check it out. I want to do flowers as well. But I want to make them to decorate the bags I make. :O) thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo hoo, love it when someone acts on a dream. Can't wait to see the finished works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, now you're speaking my language. Click on over to http://attic24.typepad.com/ In her sidebar she has a tutorial to the granny garden squares. Her instructions are so easy to follow and perfect for a beginner. Looking forward to watching your progress. X

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't crochet! Knit, yes, but not crochet. You may inspire me to learn. Let me know how you go :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm afraid I can't help, I crocheted granny squares when my mom taught me, about a hundred years ago! Looks like you're in good hands with the above commenters, though! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I LOVE crocheting and making granny squares.
    My Mum taught me when I was a kid. I don't know how you could learn from those pictures, I can't follow them.
    Wish I could sit with you and show you!!

    Here's one I made for my baby girl...

    http://theascraftystuff.blogspot.com/2010/02/crochet-baby-blanket.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG, I just had an urge to take up crochet as well!! Looking forward to seeing your attempts soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. look forward to seeing what you make.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck! I'm not crafty at all, but my Mum makes the most beautiful crocheted baby blankets.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my posts - they really are like sunshine on a cloudy day! If you're a new follower to The Truth About Mummy please leave me a link to your blog so I can follow you back. Thanks ..... Caz