Saturday, February 13, 2010

I love comfort food!

This post is a challenge from the wonderful team at BLOG THIS : ‘Comfort Food'
Well finally something I’m well qualified to blog about. I’d even go so far as to say I’m an expert when it comes to comfort food. Yup, this blog is brought to you by a mummy blogger with a PHD in eating comfort food......... So please read on, you’re in good hands!    

When I think of comfort food the first image that pops into my mind is coming home from high school on a cold winters afternoon to a kitchen smelling of sausages and mash that mum had made. I know, not the most inspiring meal but it was made with huge dollops of love and to this day I still love to eat it. Comfort food is oh so grand!

Personally I think comfort food gets a bit of a bad rap these days. There is so much focus on Obesity and Eating Disorders (both of these things are real and very destructive forces which can play havoc with physical and emotional health.) But still I think it’s nice occasionally to be allowed to take comfort and nurture from the food we eat. I know I’ve done it millions of times and loved it. Like everyone, I’ve struggled with associated guilt, but as I’ve grown older (and maybe a little wiser), I’ve learned to enjoy comfort food without guilt - and I think I’m a happier person for it.

If you’ve read my blog you’ll probably be scratching your head right at this moment wondering why, after saying all of the above, I’ve just hopped on board the weight-loss band wagon. Well too much comfort food will add kilos, regardless of how guilt free you feel when you enjoy it! I’ve blogged a bit about my years of sleep deprivation (and won’t bore you again with the details) but when you’re at the bottom of a dark well and the blue sky and sunshine seem totally out of reach, you take hold of what you can for support and nurture. I grabbed my comfort food and it has stuck with me (in more than one way!!) But you know I don’t regret it one little bit. Body weight comes and goes but having something to support me while I emptied out every bit of strength, patience, energy and love I had to my three little sleepless children is, in my mind, eternal.

So yes, I’m a big fan of comfort food. Whether its sausages and vegetables or triple chocolate fudge mud cake – it makes no difference to me. Comfort food is about love and when I find myself reaching out to it more than I probably should I don’t get cross and disappointed. After all the need for comfort is universal and I’m just human.

In case you’re wondering here are a couple of my favourites; baked cheese cake, curry & rice, carrot cake and roast beef - YUMMO.

9 comments:

  1. Carrot cake is the best. Great challenge entry Caz!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caz, for so many reasons, I think I just fell in love with you and your blog. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caz what a great entry! Written straight from the heart. Good luck!!!
    I'm really enjoying your blog and writing style. Looking forward to hearing about your movie night :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'll bring some carrot cake on saturday when we come for lunch!!! love ya. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Found you via Blog This! Nice take on the challenge....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Triple chocolate fudge mud cake - where can I get some of that?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmm baked cheesecake! I can't get enough! My arse can though!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my posts - they really are like sunshine on a cloudy day! If you're a new follower to The Truth About Mummy please leave me a link to your blog so I can follow you back. Thanks ..... Caz