Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Where have all the brain cells gone?

What is it about being a mummy that seems to rot your brain cells? To qualify this statement I don’t think I’ve actually lost any IQ points – what really seems to have failed is my short-term memory. I seem to muddle my way through the days at the moment, and frankly it’s getting frustrating. I want my brain back!! I've turned into one of those people who ‘have to’ write lists in order to remember to do things. Things that once, back in the day, I could simply tell myself mentally and it would just happen. Just so you know what I mean let me tell you  there have been many days recently when I’ve had this fantastic blog idea inspiringly jump into my head and thought, great tonight I’ll sit down and blog it out. But, alas it seems the part of my brain that holds onto these little titbits of information has died and gone to heaven. If you have seen my missing brain cells please tell them to come home - mummy misses them!

On a completely different note I took the girls to ‘Music Makers” today for the first time. It’s this cute little program the local Salvation Army run for toddlers. They sing, dance, wave stuff and generally have a blast. (I love watching kids playing holus bolus without a care in the world.) My three year old was in kiddie heaven (makes me smile just thinking it). Funny how we seem to lose the ability to just let go and have fun when we grow up. All those inhibitions and all that fear just seem to sap away our ability to have fun. Okay perhaps I should personalise that a little and say sap away ‘my’ ability to have fun.

13 comments:

  1. Hey! I stopped by here earlier to see if you'd been back... now you have.

    I loved this post. The thought of those kids busting out with all that freedom inspires me to ditch the fear and dance. And really. I am a terrible dancer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gave up on remembering things ages ago and I haven't even had kids! Post-it notes are your friend :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did have something witty and intelligent to say, but I have forgotten what it was.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not a mummy, but I have DEFINITELY lost brain cells as well! What gets me is how I can remember ridiculous stuff, like who was an extra in the 80's cult movie, "Say Anything." But when it comes to remembering three items on a grocery list without having to jot them down...GONE!!

    I think your blog is just beautiful, I'm your newest follower!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right there with you when it comes to "mommy brain". As a matter of fact I just blogged about it. I was sure that I'd go back to my normal self when he got older, but so such luck. I'm lucky I can remember my name some days. Glad to know I'm not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Caz, I relate far too well to your post! My diary and note book are almost my best friends - when I remember to use them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear I'm not alone! At least we're all in it together. Thanks for following AFANM - still gives me a little thrill to get a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL mbrain cells took a vacation when munchkin number one arrived. Maybe thats where our kids get their smarts, they suck them out of us during pregnancy. HEHE.

    Love you blog!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I blame it on lack of sleep...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ugh. My brain cells have gone missing as well. And I need them for this class I am taking! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well they say there isn't a baby brain for absent minded pregnant women, but i was finishing up a psych degree when pregnant with my first & i put it down to letting all petty things & short term memory wash over me to keep me calm & oblivious to drama. Ahhh, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmmmm Music Makers, you say. I must look into that! THanks.

    Look, I think....... oh damn, I've forgotten what I think. Can't IMAGINE why!

    And p.s. OMG the number of SIMPLY AWESOME, never to be repeated, LAUGH YOUR ASS OFF hilarious blog topics that float into my head.... and float just as aimlessly back out, before I've managed to capture them. Oh I hear you! The frustration of that never ceases to amaze me. If only I could remember to carry a notepad and pen with me LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's like your brain goes "I have to remember important stuff now like library books and kinder duty" and dumps all the useless trivia from your memory that used to have instant recall.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my posts - they really are like sunshine on a cloudy day! If you're a new follower to The Truth About Mummy please leave me a link to your blog so I can follow you back. Thanks ..... Caz