Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Working Mummy??


A busy life has been getting in the way of blogging this week. Honestly, it has been nice to take a step back from my love affair with my laptop. (Amazing what you can get done when you step away from the computer!)   My mind has been filled this week with thoughts of returning to work. You see three years ago we opened a small family business and thought that by the time the expenses of school and extra activities started, the business would be establish enough for me to continue to be a stay at home mummy. Alas, it’s not looking like this will be the case. So I’ve been contemplating a return to an undefined, as yet, number of hours of work a week.

My training is in social welfare and most of my experience in Disability Services (case management and service co-ordination). If I am honest I think I was pretty good at my job and think my experience over the past six years of being a mummy will only add to this. But that is where my confidence ends. I’m feeling very daunted. Things have changed in six years (Acts, computer systems etc) and from where I’m sitting I’m struggling to believe any of the local agencies will want to employ a slightly mummified, almost 40 year old worker. (Where I’m sitting right now is on the couch, with kids playing all around me, Mount Fold-More beside me and kids music blearing in the background.)

So what to do? I have so many questions. Like, ‘is it even okay to chase down your past supervisor to act as a referee?’ I ‘Googled’ her and found that she’s changed industries. If I don’t use people from past employment in my pre-kids life, who do I use? My kids are cute, funny and bossy but simply won’t cut it as referees!! “....yes mummy gives great hugs, reads me stories and tries not to be tooooo grumpy when she’s been up all night with the baby....” that should seal it with any potential employer. Maybe I should just approach Safeway or Spotlight for a few hours behind a register!

Weight loss update
I lost another half a kilo this past week taking me to 4kg altogether. I’m very happy with that. I had two sleepless nights with the teething terrors and allowed myself to comfort eat myself thru the foggy days that followed. With that in mind I’m really happy. My clothing is feeling noticeably looser – such a nice feeling!

7 comments:

  1. All the best with the balancing act, of family & getting back into work. I couldn't go back, to pharmacology in a lab coat, with 4 children & a husband always away, no, not for me.
    I am very strict with my laptop use - small check in times during the day or your day will disappear & your laptop will not hang out the laundry or pick up the children from school!!
    Well done on the weight loss, awesome work, love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perception is everything. From where you sit, it may appear that you're out of touch, etc. From a prospective employer's perspective, you have so much to offer! The skills shortage is not just a media beat up - there is absolutely a shortage of people with skills and experience and I have no doubt that you will find plenty of opportunities when you are ready. It's all about marketing yourself these days - find out what the employer is looking for and tailor your approach accordingly. Good luck!

    PS - fabulous news on the weight loss. Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Kelly, I am an employer and I prefer to find the right person to train up rather than have the wrong person in my firm.
    Have confidence in your skills and abilities.

    Holding thumbs that the right position comes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow. I am terrified if re-entering the workforce!! Best of luck- and great work on the weight loss!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know it must be terrifying, but I agree with what Kelly and Livemore said, you have skills, be confident and know they're gonna LOVE you!! Good luck! Keep us posted. (and congrats on the weight loss!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Caz, I can certainly relate to this post, as I have been wondering what I would like to do when I re-enter the work force. I find that I feel very conflicted about it. On the one hand quite excited, on the other quite sad with the realization that by the time I go back to work, my youngest will be in school, my babies won't be "babies" anymore and the sadness that goes along with that realization. deep sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What Anne Marie said. And what you said, Me too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my posts - they really are like sunshine on a cloudy day! If you're a new follower to The Truth About Mummy please leave me a link to your blog so I can follow you back. Thanks ..... Caz