Saturday, June 5, 2010

The working mummy returns

So, I’m back at work. For three days every week I leave the world of the mummyhood behind and venture off on my own to help other families with their own children who have disabilities. There were some tears on the first day (from me of cause) as I drove off leaving my little pinks home .........even thou it was just with their Daddy. You see I’m in the happy and enviable position of being able to Job Share with my other half. But as I arrived at work and stepped back into the world of professional lady I was really surprised how easily it all came back. Despite arriving with smeared wheatbix on my left shoulder, the six years on the mummy train really hadn’t wrecked my professional personality – in fact I’m a little surprised and very happy to say I think it’s improved it!


Life at our house does seem to be moving faster now. I’m astonished at how quickly time is passing. In reality I’m pretty sure it’s just a reflection of my own increased busyness but it makes me very aware that I need to enjoy each moment – because nothing stays the same for long. I’ve been experiencing this funny time warp feeling as I’ve re-emerged back into some of my pre-kid world. Many of my colleagues and the families and children I work with are the same – just six years older. I have these regular flashes were I feel like I’ve been in hibernation fast asleep for six years while the world just kept on turning without me.

My little pinks seem to be adjusting well. (Yes they are lucky as they just get to stay at home with Daddy or Granny.) The two biggest concerns they’ve had is seeing my new name tag, (evidently this is of paramount importance when talking of working in the eyes of a six year old) and whether the baby the worker I’m backfilling for was having with turned out to be a boy or a girl. (t’was a girl!). I must say one of my favourite things about being back at work is the way they come running for me when I get home – it’s truly delicious! I honestly thought I’d be one of those teary messy emotional ‘return to workers’ who would take weeks to re-adjust. But no, despite those tears as I drove away for my first day, I really don’t worry to much about them while I’m away and I enjoy being with them so much more when I’m home. It’s been a life lesson learned for me ....... and of cause the extra money coming in is wonderful! Renovations here we come :O)

12 comments:

  1. I cannot tell you how nice it is to read this, or indeed how JEALOUS I AM!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lucy! I am very lucky and appreciative :O)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad your enjoying being back at work...wishing i could get back to work but I dont think its gonna appen for a bit longer!! Enjoy and give the pinks a kiss from Aunty Coz. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank Aunty Coz :O) Their off watching Veggie Tales atm!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back Caz we missed you. I understand completely where you are coming from, I love my job too but just wish I didn't have to do it full time - 3 days a week would be perfect. Why oh why is it never me that is the unknown tatts ticket winner.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Go Caz! Your post was just what the doctor ordered, as I have to return to part-time work in 7.5 weeks (who's counting!) myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Caz,

    I'm returning to work next week, leavng behind my two boys... I'm lucky that I can also do 3 days/week which is a good balance: enough time to make it worth it financially & wardrobe-rly but also leaves more days in the week to spend with the kids (and those days become so much more precious) :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true Melisa ... I love my days home with my pinks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Life is just far too busy at times, isn't it?

    It sounds like it's all working for you though. Enjoy. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Visiting from Weekend Rewind. I work 2.5 days a week and love it, super to have the blance. Mich x

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fantastic attitude - even though I know you are now back with the pinks fulltime, you seem to have had such a fabulous approach to returning to work. But it does make life busier, no doubt!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love working part time. It balances things up a bit and also means that a least a couple of times a week I drink a whole cup of coffee before it goes cold.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my posts - they really are like sunshine on a cloudy day! If you're a new follower to The Truth About Mummy please leave me a link to your blog so I can follow you back. Thanks ..... Caz