Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Hurry up Miss Jane


Do you remember Mr Squiggle, Gus, Rocket, Bill the Steam Shovel and the fabulous Blackboard (Oh- Hurry Up)?  If you do, then like me you watched ABC kids way back in the 70s when Miss Jane and the little man from '93 Crater Crescent on the Moon' filled our hearts with art and laughter.  If not, you'll probably think this post is rather droll!


I loved Gus the snail and the corny jokes of Bill the Steam Shovel but the one who had the biggest impact on my life was the grumpy old Mr Blackboard with his "Oh Hu-rry u-p" and "Hmmph and double hmmph". To this day when someone is impatient and grumpy for no particular reason (particularly the Dear One) I'll call them Blackboard. Yeah - I'm a bit nasty like that!

Just shows you how much of a long reaching affect ABC kids has on our lives.  How about you?  Do you still have fond memories of shows you used to watch as a kid?  Did any of them affect how you live and think today? I wonder which of the shows our kids watch today will still be speaking to them in 20, 30 or even 40 years time!



PS: The Gnomeo & Juliet 2 x Double Pass Giveaway  is drawn tomorrow. Don't forget to tell me what little creatures play in your garden if you'd like a chance to win them.

PSS: The Donna Christine Designs Refashioning Giveaway is also open still open too.

21 comments:

  1. I am old enough to remember Mr Sqiggle & Miss Jane.LOL such happy memories.I don't know what affect that they had on me but they gave Mum & dad a bit of quiet.

    I wonder ? my 4 yr boys love ABC shows there are so many I can hardly keep up.

    Ps We have a little Olive grove at the farm - planted by the previous owner and these are the first olives we have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean Trish. My 2 and 4 year olds seem to have new favs every time they watch!! Lucky you with the olives!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm old enough to remember the Magic Roundabout - and still go all fuzzy when I hear the music!

    ReplyDelete
  4. my brother and sister called me blackboard!

    worzel gummidge and the wombles were afternoon favourites, but I loved the saturday morning cartoons like he-man and she-ra (remember when cartoons were only on saturdays, and kids had to wait all week to watch?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have vague recollections of Mr Squiggle, such a funny little concept. My classic faves from childhood would have to be Romper Room and Humphrey B Bear. Daggy, but such beautiful memories :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved Mr Squiggle! Still use ``hhhuuurrrrry uuuuupp'' today! Also use ``upside down, upside down''. My daughter has no idea what I'm talking about, but laughs anyway... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr Squiggle was a favourite... along with Fraggle Rock. Thanks for the memories! gxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh so glad to see some more mr squiggle fans are out and about :O) Thanks for visiting and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Mr Squiggle but my fave when I was little was Captain Planet....he's a hero, gonna take polution down to zero! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Upside down Miss Jane".
    I use that one at least once a week!
    I guess "Can we Fix it?" will stick with this generation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aha...what a wonderful trip down memory lane:)
    I still say..."upside down Miss Jane"!!!

    BecM XX

    ReplyDelete
  12. Romper Room - I can still sing the 'bend and stretch' song!!
    xxxCate

    ReplyDelete
  13. I adored Mr Squiggle. Growing up in the country the only kids shows we had when I was little were what ever was on the ABC!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, I loved Mr Squiggle too! I've actually played the whole 'draw some lines for the kids to make a picture out of' thing with the kids! They love it.

    I really have fond memories of playschool. I remember asking mum for stuff when they'd make something. Now my kids do that to me. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Caz I just adore Mr. Squiggle. I too still use 'Upside down Miss Jane' to my kids who give me a really odd look!
    I always wanted to send in a squiggle but I never did because I used to think you had to have large pink square card to draw your squiggle on. LOL

    Jodi
    http://www.jodigibson.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, love it, Caz! I still get called 'Miss Jane' by other Gen Xers to whom it means something special ☺. A classic show. I would love to show it to our littlies. J x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I loved Mr Squiggle, always such a thrill to guess what he's trying to draw. And then off in his rocket he goes ... great memories. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have never forgotten Mr Squiggle or grumpy old blackboard - though other characters are a bit hazy. Always loved Mr Squiggle's entry. It's interesting how childhood viewing effects you later in life - we didn't watch much TV as kids and now I barely watch anything. Find most programs dreadful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. LOVED Mr Squiggle. Growing up in the country the ABC was all that was on offer (different now). Thanks for taking me back.

    Kirsty

    ReplyDelete
  20. I loved Mr Squiggle. That puppet was an artistic genius!

    Thanks for Rewinding at the Fibro!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my posts - they really are like sunshine on a cloudy day! If you're a new follower to The Truth About Mummy please leave me a link to your blog so I can follow you back. Thanks ..... Caz