Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Movie Review "You Again"

How often do you take time out to sit down and watch a DVD during the day time?   Never right. Well today I did. Finding myself in the happy situation of having Daddy home for the afternoon I was able to hide myself away for some self indulgent me time with my DVD player. Cup of tea in hand I headed off leaving the little pinks and the Dear One to amuse themselves for 105 minutes.
The movie: You Again.


Opps - tiny picture.
 To be honest I’d already read a couple of not so hot reviews on this one which may have dulled my expectations. Regardless I suck the DVD in, pressed play and snuggled back into my comfy sofa ready to be entertained. The basic premises sees Marni, the once nerdy but now highly successful career women, trying to stop her super nice brother marrying her high school arch nemesis JJ - who had bullied her ruthlessly during their high school years. The story line follows them as they come face to face with the emotional repercussions of their high school years. For sure, it’s a little predictable and a bit high on the schmaltz scale – but for an afternoon of mindless mummy escapism it was a pretty good watch, and one I think you’ll enjoy. Need 105 minutes of mummy time. 'You Again' might be just what you’re looking for!


Marni and JJ (Kristen and Odette) facing off.

Five best things about YOU AGAIN:
1. Fabulous cast members.  Kristen Bell, Jamie Lee Curtis, Sigourney Weaver and Betty White to name a few.  (Jamie Lee, Sigourney and Betty are fabulous.)

 
2. Laughter – even the predictable can be laugh out loud funny.

3. Family friendly.  Rated PG you won’t need to send the kids out of the room or wait until they go to bed to watch it. (No sex scenes or outrageous language.)

4. It reminds you how much of an impact high school had on your life and makes you thankful you’re bigger than that now!

5. The script is filled with enough one line motivational sayings to fill a small self help book. You can’t help but being a little ‘self helped’ and uplifted along the way.

I received a complimentary copy of 'Only You' in order to complete this review. All opinions expressed are purely my own honest thoughts on this product.  Thanks you to Aussie Mummy Bloggers  and good people of Porter Novelli for reveiw referrral.

What I Thought:

12 comments:

  1. Great review. I've read some not-so-nice reviews on it, too, so this was good.
    Hubs and I have yet to watch it, getting the time is so hard!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched this movie and really enjoyed it. And yes, it does take you back to those highschool days. What I loved about it was watching Jamie Lee Curtis and Sigourney Weaver (I agree with you on that...they were fab!!)who were older women, suddenly revert back to those days of insecurity and paranoia just as quickly as the younger women did....will we as women always be like that???
    Bec.M XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review, Caz. I actually really like it in list form. Am interested to see it myself now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks beautiful ladies. I actually really like list post after today. There is something really appealing about them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    Popping in from AMB to follow you and check out your blog.
    Love it! Will be back!

    Trish
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great afternoon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really liked the list review, made it really easy to see what the good points are and makes me want to check the movie out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good list, I'll remember to catch this movie when opportunity presents :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey thanks for this, a realistic review that's not too critical. I don't want a well crafted movie some days, I just want something that can be on when kids are around!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A list works really well for a review! so good choice.

    I haven't ever heard of this movie, but I'm always up for a good chick flick, especially if it has Betty White in it!
    I'll look out for it (I'm always FAR more likely to watch a movie from a good review by a 'real' person, than a bad review by a so-called professional)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the review Caz! I think with hubby being away this weekend, I might just go and spoil myself with a chick flick! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review. I especially like that you mention that it is not something that you have to send the little ones out of the room. This can be useful information for a lot of parents!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my posts - they really are like sunshine on a cloudy day! If you're a new follower to The Truth About Mummy please leave me a link to your blog so I can follow you back. Thanks ..... Caz