Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Thinking about showing up


I think it was Woody Allen who said '90% of success in life is just in showing up'. 

 I wonder?  Could it really be that easy?  

They do say (whoever they are) 'the first step is generally the hardest'.  I can think of quiet a few examples in my own life where I have found this to be true.  The Dear One and I started a business a few years back.  The 'thinking about it' stage was filled with anxiety and fears. But when we made a decision, went to the bank and started, it all just seemed to happen.  

  I can't tell you how many times in the past I've thought about doing something new, that reaches out of my comfort bubble, only to be assaulted by fear of what might or might not happen.  Fear, is very good at surrounding us when we've got choices to make and tempting us to shrink back to the safe.  But really maybe fear is just a part the growing process.  Like the book says "Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway!"

Perhaps there is something to be said for the words of Mr Allen.  

11 comments:

  1. 'Feel the Fear and Do it anyway' is a great quote! I feel the fear almost daily when it comes to my Etsy shop...lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I jumped out of a very huge tree once. Feel the fear and do it anyway echoed in my mind then, and now, when I am dithering and nt making a choice as a result of fear, I recall that tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say fear is part of the growing process. If we don't try something new, we'll never know the outcome and we'd get stuck in the same old, same old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope you didn't hurt yourself in that tree Lucy!!

    Thanks AM and BeckyJane for dropping by :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with the showing up quote. Sometimes it is the best place to start.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Showing up is easy for me...it's knowing what to do when I get there and staying with it that are harder for me! Mr Allen probably didn't have a problem with those things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've got that book. I fear I didn't finish it.... that's the truth!
    But yes, I am one who finds pushing through the gnawing self-fear-talk the hardest most often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Me again - just got your muffin question. Caz, I wrap them in foil and freeze them. I wrap them in foil for the lunch packs too. I would rather soft that stale textured, IYKWIM?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Lucy. I've done them in glad wrap and put them in a tuppaware box - next time I'll try to foil :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Susan Jeffers' Feel the Fear and Do It Anyway is so inspiring. That book really helped me to see how much I was giving up by giving into the fear. Though, I'm not sure I agree with the just showing up bit. Doesn't work for all those people who stand in line to be on American Idol!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now there's a point Karrie!! I guess it must be in the 10% :O)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my posts - they really are like sunshine on a cloudy day! If you're a new follower to The Truth About Mummy please leave me a link to your blog so I can follow you back. Thanks ..... Caz