Sunday, March 20, 2011

Never fail carrot cake

In honour of the Dear Ones birthday, at this time every year we make this fabulous carrot cake.  The Dear One is not a big cake fan, which makes birthday's hard,  but he does love and good carrot cake - so I have had to put some effort into finding a good recipe.  This one was passed on to me by a friend who is a chef - and it is simply  perfect.  It ticks my two most important boxes for a home baked cakes - easy and delicious.  I made this one with the littlest pink and once again it worked a treat. It looks much nicer iced, but the Dear One is not a fan off frosting - and as it was his birthday we go by his rules!


INGREDIENTS
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups of vegetable oil
2 cups of white sugar
2 tsp Vanilla Essenes
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp of salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
3 cups grated  carrots
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

ICING
1/2 cup of softened butter
8 ounces of cream cheese (softened)
4 cups icing sugar
1 tsp of vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 175 degrees
Grease cooking tin (I always trace the bottom of the pan onto baking paper cut it out and put the circle of paper on the bottom of the inside of the pan - simple and no stick.)
In a large bowl, beat together eggs, oil, sugar and vanilla.
Mix in flour, baking soda and baking powder, salt and cinnamon.  Stir in carrots. Fold in nuts.
Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. 
Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes and turn out onto wire rack to cool.

Apart from the taste and texture of this cake the other great thing is how kid proof it is. I measure out the ingredients and then let the kids put them into the mixing bowl and mix to their hearts content. .....and still it turns out beautifully! 
Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. Ooooh I love a one bowl cake, this looks delicious, I think I'm going to make it today. Yum yum, thanks for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. If there was to be only one cake in the world, for me it would be Carrot Cake!
    Even had it as my wedding cake.
    I have a much-loved recipe also, that makes an appearance every week or two.
    PS. Are you still not sleeping?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I love carrot cake - with frosting!! I think we have all those ingredients in the pantry, so might have to whip one of these up today. Looks like it's going to be an inside day here, so will help keep the three year old busy! Will let you know how we go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kellie and Crap mum - let me know how you go!

    Fiona - yes 1.30am. Frustrating - but not the worst thing that could happen I'm guessing :)

    Happy Cake Making lovely people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh yum!

    I'm not really a cake person, more a bikkies and pastry girl ;) But there is nothing like a good carrot cake :)

    Bookmarking to try later in the week, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrot cake is my all time favourite!! My Aunty made a pretty delicious one....and I have been trying to find her recipe for years. I will definitely try yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love carrot cake, love, love, love and my current recipe is a complicated and confusing one. I will definitely be book marking this for later! Mmmmm, might have to double the creamcheese icing, its too delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love carrot cake - but haven't made it in years. I'm making this next!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks fab Caz and I am most impressed that Dear one would prefer Carrot Cake... without frosting! Hope you have had a lovely weekend.

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi back at you and thanks for stopping by! I love good carrot cake. Especially an easy to bake one. Have a lovely week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, love the look of this one and I have all the ingredients. Will have to make this one for sure! And CARROT cake - technically one serve of vegies for the day???? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi there!
    I just found you on Twitter and came by to check out your blog. I love it! Am now a follower :)
    Looking forward to trying out your carrot cake!

    You can see my blog at mymummydaze.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. i made i! i mean not the cake, it sure looks good, but i made it to your blog!

    it must be our mountain sattelite internet and the fact that we are like...uh...on different continents! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum!! Oh, I'm so going to give this a go tonight!!! Thanks for the inpsiration :-)
    xxxCate

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my posts - they really are like sunshine on a cloudy day! If you're a new follower to The Truth About Mummy please leave me a link to your blog so I can follow you back. Thanks ..... Caz