Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Reflections on turning five

The heart shaped birthday cake the middle pink requested.
Five years ago today I was waiting in the hospital for my squishy moo middle pink to make an appearance in this world. I already new she would be a pink and had my suspicions that she would be a little on the squishy side - due to her in womb habits.  The middle pink was born almost 2 weeks overdue by c-section.  I'd been planning a v-bac but the waiting became to much and I booked myself in for the ceasar - despite my midwife telling me she would come when she was ready.   I remember the lovely lady who delivered her saying she could see why she hadn't arrived on time - she was just too big.  My middle pink weighed in at 9pounds16 or 4.5kgs.  She was an adorable chubby newborn who looked nothing like her equally adorable big sister when she was born. I was a bit shocked by that - for some unknown reason I was sure she'd look similar.

I love that first day in hospital with a newborn.  High on happy hormones and with a brand new person to explore and get to know.   The middle pink had the most humongously loud cry that would stop the moment I touched her.  She could be put to sleep with the caress of my hand and breast feed like a champion.  I can still clearly see her wrapped up  tightly in her lovely pink wraps with a tiny bit of purple bonds poking out underneath.  My heart still melts at the thought of picking her up and feeling that warm soft weight in my arms and the intoxicating smell of newborn.  She was a beautiful bundle of emotions, warmth and deliciousness.  My beautiful middle pink.  And today she is five.  Mummy loves you squishy moo.
Photobucket

17 comments:

  1. Big happy birthday to your middle Pink! And what a gorgeous looking cake.
    I can relate to that first day in hospital with little bubs. It's definitely one to be cherished!
    Mind you, I loved every day in hospital - meals provided and someone else doing the cleaning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday to your precious girl.
    Lovely to remember those special days getting to know a new family member.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My big girl is 7 next week, and I have been very sentimental these last few days... your post made tears roll down this Mumma cheeks! Such a beautiful post, couldn't have said it better! So hard to put into words the incredibleness (is that even a word) of the new baby and mother getting to know each other before and after birth! Happy Birthday Middle Pink xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday middle pink!

    Mummy did a great job with your cake; hope you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Your middle pink is so lucky to have you as her mum. I wouldn't be able to make such a perfect cake if my life depended on it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 5th birthday day to your Middle Pink. That is a gorgeous cake, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! I love thinking back to my children's births on their birthdays too! No one tells you before you have kids that there are two people in the world remembering this day you came to be, getting all mushy and teary. Would've been a lovely thing to know about our parents before having our own, wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy birthday in your household. None of my children wanted to come out either. Looking back at what i was doing 7 years ago today . . . finally getting a boy after 3 girls, yes, it can happen!! He practically delivered himself, breach until the last minute then he just cruised on out & has been a dream member of the family, fitting in nicely to our lives. Yay for us mummies!! Love Posie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww Caz, a heart warming, delightful post to read. You've captured the essence of being a new Mummy here beautifully. Wow! She was a big little lady. My eldest was 4.6kg and my next one was 4.4kg, so I can completely relate to how large and squishy the babes in this weight range are. And aren't they just ADORABLE?! ;o)
    P.S. Love the heart cake, clever Mummy you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  11. that's so lovely. It's great to look back eveyr so often and remember those first encounters. I can't believe my little baby one is now 5 and the big sister to two. Happy memories - and I'm with Kelly - I loved the hospital stay - food on a tray, an a panic button. Bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my Caz, this made me all warma and fuzzy. Not to mention clucky! Those first few days in the hospital and so beautiful.

    Wishing your lovely pink a very happy fifth birthday. I heart that cake xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely lovely... doesn't five years fly by... happy birthday! Georgie x

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The first day after giving birth is totally amazing spent marvelling at how you could have created something so perfect. Thank you for reminding me of that day and a very happy 5th birthday to your precious gitl x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope middle pink had an amazing day. You are so talented, that cake looks fabulous! This was such a beautiful post, I loved that first day in hospital, looking and touching that little bundle in wonderment. You gave me goosebumps! I can't wait to have another.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my posts - they really are like sunshine on a cloudy day! If you're a new follower to The Truth About Mummy please leave me a link to your blog so I can follow you back. Thanks ..... Caz