Thursday, April 21, 2011

Being a mummy is tough Gig!

Being a mummy is a tough gig filled with highs and lows.  To be honest sometimes I wonder if we really knew how hard it was going to be if we'd enter into it with the joy and gusto most of us do.  All those dreams about how we're going to parent our children and the mental lists of things we'll never do with our kids ........ until we actually have them and live in the raw emotion of sleep deprived and over stretched family life.    Okay, just so you remember, I REALLY do love my three little pinks beyond anything I could ever imagine.  They truly are the sunshine of my life.  But let me say again being a mummy can be a tough gig. 

If you are a mummy you'll probably be nodding your head about now and thinking of your own list of reason why you agree with this statement. If not, well you're probably not reading my blog!   We could talk sleep deprivation, bad behaviour, tantrums, mummy guilt, endless housework, lack of me time .... and so on and so on.    For me, what I find really hard is the constant nature of the job.  There is no long services leave or holiday plan when you're living in the pre-school set.  Being mummy comes with you day and night, 365 days a year -  and they tell me the worrying only gets worse as they get older.  Fabulous news for someone who spent 2 hours last night looking at the bedroom ceiling worrying about the girls not being able to swim well enough and the fact that the house won't be looking very 'renovated' by the biggest pinks 7th birthday party in June - yes champion worrier here!

But then there are the highs.  Those moments when you think your heart will burst with joy, pride and happiness just from being near them.  The happy tears when three little whispering voices break out into the 'ABC song' in the backseat of the car because they know it will make mummy  laugh.   The little girl who yells out in the supermarket at the top of her loudest, most bogan inspired voice "I LOVE YOU MUMMY" (and then proceeds to pull your top down  from the V neck exposing your bra to all the shoppers on the cleaning Isle ...but let's not talk about that bit.).  There seems to be an almost magical river of love and tenderness which starts flowing from your deepest parts when you fall in love with your child.   And it just keeps flowing and growing - despite the hardships.  Frankly, it doesn't make the hardship any easier but it does keep you fully and squarely in love with your children regardless of how hard it gets.  I always know even after the most frustrating, irritating, earplug needing, sleep craving, sanity stretching day I'll still be in love with my little pink people when I wake up next morning.

Being a mummy is a hard gig ......... but with big rewards.  Rewards I wouldn't miss out on for all the adult outings and 'me time' in the world.  What do you think is the hardest thing about being a mummy?  And what do you do when the sanity stretching gets to much.  Sadly, I must admit that I reach for the remote control and bow down to the alter of ACB kids,giving myself an  hour of peace to regroup  and recuperate. 

14 comments:

  1. I definitely think the hardest part is the 24/7. The never-ending 'on call' status. It has gotten easier over the years, but I remember with my first lamenting that I never get to 'go home from work'.
    But then they say 'boobies' and you crack up, and all is forgiven!!
    xxxCate

    ReplyDelete
  2. The hardest part is definitely not being able to ``clock off'', which is even harder at the moment considering I have a bub who mysteriously won't sleep for more than an hour at a time. Night times are rather painful at the minute!! But I wouldn't trade them for all the world. Nothing beats an ``I love you, mum''!.... or having your topped pulled down in the supermarket! LOL! I pine for morning and afternoon Play School, so I can just sit and breathe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with Cate and Kellie...I find I can't even switch off when I am away for my children for an hour.
    But regardless of all the tough times there is nothing in the world I would rather be :)
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it is 24 hours/7 days but.. there is no other job out there I would be willing to 'work' 24 hours/7 days... gxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, hardest but best 'job' I've ever had. Yet it's not a job, it's kind of a lifestyle. I can't imagine a life without my kids, but there are certainly times, like when I've been thrown up on umpteen times in the middle of the night and I'm out of clean bed linen that you think: No one ever told me about this! I also can't switch off when I'm without them. My kids are always in the back of my mind and deep in my heart. No, wouldn't change it for the world, even the supermarket boobie reveal (do they all do that?), or the vomit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful post Caz (as always xo). A very tough gig...lack of sleep my biggest challenge. Ahh, I crave an entire uninterupted night sleep =)

    Bless our little 'pinks'...as tough as it is I wouldn't have it any other way!

    Happy Easter to you and your family. xoxo

    Kell x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's definitely the love for your kids that gets you through it all no matter what the age of the kids (or the mum!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Caz, wonderful post and you had me nodding along in total agreement right through. It is SO RELENTLESS, I think that's the hardest part. Most days I bubble along in a dizzy haze... happy... but dizzy. But every once in a while I get this desperate, almost suffocating feeling about when my hubby and I will ever get away on our own... EVER.... AGAIN! I know of course as time goes on, things will change and it will (probably) become easier to sneak off for a weekend or heaven forbid, a whole week! Just at the moment, when you're deep in the trenches, it's hard to see that kind of light. I have been told so many times of late, just how much harder it gets as they get older... geez, thanks! But that does make me more determined to savour and enjoy the here and now, because like yourself, every. single. morning I wake up, I fall in love with the boys a little more :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a really tough gig. I never realised that they would so completely take over my life. I thought I would just carry on with my life, but with children. Instead they completely changed my life. And not necessarily for the better. And yet if it wasn't for them, if I never had kids then I might not even be alive any more. I just wish it didn't feel like such a chore, some fun and enjoyment would be nice...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post Cas, I was definitely nodding along with it. The worrying does seem to get worse the older they get. Being a parent is hard, there isn't any time off. Even when you do get time away, you don't actually get time off - you still worry and wonder. The highs are amazing though and make it all worthwhile. I wouldn't trade it in for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Caz, I feel exactly the same way xo

    Hardest part for me is I have always been someone who likes their own space - uninterrupted time to watch a movie, cook, read a book, or just be by myself - and there isn't much opportunity for that anymore. When I make time, there's always a bit of mother guilt hovering around!

    Of course it's all worth it :) and there's always ABC2 ready to help out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful post and so very true, Caz. So hard but so worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hrmmm the sleep deprivation for me was the biggest thing (until well in to his 8th month he would wake up and not resettle without help at least half a dozen times a night). Now that he's sleeping it's easier... still hard, but easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this post ... everything you have written rings true. My kids are gorgeous and loving and whingey and tiring and kind but demanding all at the same time. Sometimes I want to just scream and sometimes I cant help but yell at them - but then I get disappointed in myself for not being the great mum I always had hoped to be. Toughest job around!!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments on my posts - they really are like sunshine on a cloudy day! If you're a new follower to The Truth About Mummy please leave me a link to your blog so I can follow you back. Thanks ..... Caz